Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Messy House Is A Happy House?????

Okay, I am really putting myself out there by posting these pictures. I am a little embarrassed for you all to witness this, but I have to know if there is anyone else out there whose house ever looks like this?? Please tell me I am not the only one who can not seem to ever get anything done around the house!! I really am not a slob. Quite the opposite actually. I can not stand clutter. It seriously makes me nervous. I have been a lot better about it since the kids have come along but when it gets to a certain point it really starts to get to me. It is now at that point! I try to do stuff, I really do, but with 3 little ones, cleaning is just not at the top of my priority list during the day. Furthermore, after the kids go to bed at night the last thing I want to do is spend my few "quiet hours" cleaning. So what is a Mom to do?? I am not asking for sympathy or for someone to volunteer to clean my house (although that might be nice...just kidding... kind of...). I know it will all get done. Eventually. I guess I just need a little understanding and reaffirmation that I am not the only one out there with this problem and that it is not at all abnormal for a house to look like this every once in a while (or more often than that maybe). A messy house is a happy house, right????? So, if you ever stop by my house unannounced and it looks like this just remember....Love me, Love my messy house!!!


Laundry waiting to be folded. Just so you know, the towels on the end table that have already been folded have been sitting there for a week. Seriously, when bath time rolls around, we don't even look in the linen closet. Towels are kept on the love seat. And yes, despite the way our house looks, we do bathe!!!!

No, not a bombed out war zone...My living room.
Dining room table. The chairs are used more often for hanging clothes to dry than they are for sitting. Sad, I know.
Don't even get me started on the kitchen. The dishes in the dishwasher are clean but have not yet been unloaded, hence the pile up in and around the sink. This can not be normal.


Again, just remember.....Love me, Love my messy house!!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you posted this. At times I feel so bad because my house is a wreck and I'm home all day. My justification to this is that I'd rather spend time with my kids then have a perfectly clean house. I can do that when they are all grown up and gone. I'm cracking up at the clothes hanging from the chairs. I lay a ton of our clothes out to dry and Jason will come home and see a kitchen full of wet clothes just hanging from anything that will support them. You are NOT alone!!

Lisa said...

I just don't understand why you don't have time to clean!? ha! My house gets this way and I have no excuses...yet.

PB said...

Hi Laurie! You know you are a loving mother when your house looks like this. I remember thinking to myself when I was at home with just two, "My time with them will fly by, and I'm not going to miss it, not one moment." And you know what it is still flying, and I don't regret one moment of living in a messy house. In fact I got used to it. Now they're at school and I have no excuses, and it still looks that way. My friends know they better call before they come, to give me warning. And I never "drop in on anyone" out of respect for the messy. Don't question yourself, there will be plenty of time for clean houses later in life. Have fun with your kids now.

Anonymous said...

Umm... You know my house looks like this. What would mom say? :O

I can go one better and say when it is time for bath and someone needs a towel, they go to the dryer! My bras or on just about ever door knob between my room and the laundry room!

You are not alone. Those that have a clean house neglect their kids, I say!

tamandscott said...

We love you and your house. Our house gets progressively (sp?) worse as the work week rolls on, then we can't take it anymore on the weekends! Lakehouse countdown--one day!! (Maybe Jay will clean it all while you're gone...)

Jenna said...

Drop by my house any day and you will see that you are not alone! It drives me crazy but it never seems to stay clean. I even have someone clean my house once a week. The laundry, the kitchen, and the pee from bad aiming are my struggles. Let me know if you find the magic solution!

Holly Moulder said...

That actually didn't look that bad! :) That's totally my kitchen. Relocate the pile of laundry to the foot of our bed and it the same exact situation at our house. We don't even have a linen closet so, yeah...

Mimi said...

Obviously, you have forgotten what our home looked like when you all were home. What color was the carpet in your rooms? Clothes colored, I believe. Remember the time Darrell and Regina came over after the football game? There were clothes in the chair to fold, junk was strewn everywhere, and the sink and countertops were covered in dishes. It was quite embarrassing, but I had to invite them. Don't stress out about the house. It is a work that always needs to be done. Enjoy each moment with your little ones because one day the house will stay clean forever, and you will long for some of that chaos.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh. Our couch upstairs looks just like yours most of the time. We usually end up having to dig through piles of laundry to get clean clothes because I can never get them hung up fast enough. I've had laundry stay on the couch for a few weeks. It made me feel better that someone else has a house that looks like mine! I only really clean when I know someone is coming over and even then, my house looks lived in...which I feel is a good thing! It's great that you took these and put them out there.

tamandscott said...

How long are you going to make us look at your dirty house? :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I did a google search with the key words, "don't stress, mom, messy house" and your blog popped up first. It's a terrible challenge for me to keep it clean, my 1 month old fed and my 2 yr old fed, clean and alive!

When I feel my mind going to despair over the house cleaning I try to console myself w/ the thought that in 20 years when the kids are grown and gone will it matter that my house was clean TODAY? Most times my answer is No...it won't matter. Hope you're doing well!